Employers need to ensure that they have a suite of key policies and procedures tailored to their workplace, compliance with which is a condition of their employees employment contract.
Key workplace policies and procedures include
- Code of conduct
- Grievance handling policy
- Discipline and termination policy
- Occupational health and safety policy
- Anti-discrimination and harassment policy
- Drug and alcohol policy
- Internet and email policy
- Media and social media policy
Employees need to receive training in workplace policies and procedures, and need to be aware of the consequences of breaching those policies.
A substantial and wilful breach of a policy will generally constitute a valid reason for dismissal. Also, multiple minor breaches of a policy, even if each individual breach may not be capable of being regarded as serious, can also constitute a valid reason for dismissal where the breaches are considered together.